Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Money Pit

This guest post from Doris Dillon

When we relocated, we got a rental house. Many of my friends live in rental houses and rave about how quickly things get fixed around their house. Most of my friends that have the great property management also live in downtown condos and apartments with twenty-four hour service. I have a dog and living in a high-rise was not an option. I needed a rental house with a yard. After looking for a whole week, I felt lucky to find the rental house that I did. It was reasonably priced, about 1500 square feet, and had a washer/dryer.

What I didn’t realize was how awful the property was going to be managed and how much of my own money I would end up sinking in it. Things are breaking and I get aggravated waiting a month for it to be fixed. I’ve ended up paying at least $500 out of pocket to get things fixed over the last year. Thank goodness I found some ways to save money at the house, like energy efficient light bulbs and best direct TV Deals. I have decided that we are moving when our lease is up.

No comments:

Post a Comment